Friday, July 24, 2015

My Nanaimo Bar Obsession

So I've been on a Nanaimo Bar kick the last little while. I've made nanaimo bars (recipe HERE), nanaimo bar cupcakes, nanaimo bar icecream, and I have plans to make Nanaimo Bar cheesecake when I'm allowed to bake again. (My husband and I have a deal that I only make treats ONCE a week, and I've already gone way past my quota this last week...)

Anyway, the problem with having a small obsession with this divine Canadian confection is that I'm running low on the most important ingredient: Bird's Custard Powder. If I lived in Canada that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't, so it is. I could make my confections using vanilla pudding instead (and I've tried this before) but it just isn't as good.

The solution to my dilemma was quite simple. Why not make custard?! I found the original custard recipe HERE, but tweaked it a bit to fit my needs. Sure, using custard powder is the easiest option, but since I don't exactly have that option, I decided to go with making custard from scratch. Because I LOVE making things from scratch, I didn't mind the extra time and effort this added to my nanaimo bar baking experience. And guess what? It turned out AMAZING! Smooth and silky, with just the right custard flavor. So if you can't get your hands on custard powder, don't use vanilla pudding, try this instead! Stay tuned for recipes featuring nanaimo bar cupcakes and icecream! (when I get another free moment to write them down!)

Nanaimo Bar Filling

-1/2 C milk
-1/2 C cream
-2 tsp vanilla
-4 egg yolks
-2 tsp corn starch
 
-1/4 C butter
-2 to 4 C icing sugar

-in a heatproof bowl whisk together the egg yolks, corn starch and vanilla
-in a saucepan, combine the milk and cream and heat over medium, stirring constantly until the milk/cream mixture is hot, almost boiling, but do not allow boil.
-temper the eggs by pouring a little of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly. After the first little bit has been whisked in, slowly add the rest of the milk mixture in a slow stream while whisking constantly.
-return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over low heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. (If you cook the mixture too long, or allow it to boil it could curdle, and you don't want that!)
-allow to cool to room temperature
-in a mixing bowl cream together the custard, butter and icing sugar. (start with about 2 c of the icing sugar and add more if needed to make it thick enough to spread melted chocolate over. 




No comments:

Post a Comment