Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pie Crust 1

This is the best pie crust I've ever had the privilege of making. This recipe comes from my Grandma, so I don't claim it as my own invention, but I must brag that this recipe has helped me create an award winning pie at my local county fair.
It's super flaky, tasty, and I have found it easier to work with than the other pie dough recipes I have previously worked with in my baking class. This recipe can make about 3 double layered pies (depending on crust thickness). This dough is also great to freeze into individual balls to pull out whenever the mood strikes you to make a pie.



Award winning Pie Crust

-1 lb Lard (preferably Tenderflake)
-1 C boiling water
-1 tsp salt
-4 heaping C flour
-1 tsp baking powder

-Melt the lard in the boiling water, stirring until completely melted. Stir in the salt until dissolved.


-GENTLY mix in the heaping cups of flour and baking powder, stir ONLY until the flour is wet and the dough looks marbled. DO NOT OVER MIX.



-cover and chill for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
-cut out a piece of dough roughly the size of a softball and form into a ball
-on a floured surface roll out the ball of dough to your desired size and thickness, occasionally flipping, turning and re-flouring the dough so it doesn't stick to the surface. Make sure you don't work the dough too much or your crust will be tough.
-Gently place the dough in your pie pan. Prick holes with a fork in the bottom of the shell if baking the shell without filling, otherwise, fill the shell with filling and top with another layer of pie crust and flute the edges to seal the crust together and make it look pretty.

Bake time will depend on type of pie. If just baking the shell, bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to golden.




No comments:

Post a Comment