Sunday, November 22, 2015

Award Winning Apple Pie

So I decided that this year I would enter my tasty apple pie into my county fairs' Best Apple Pie contest. The only problem: the apples that I use for my apple pie were not quite in season yet. No problem! I had made about 8 apple pies last fall and froze them all, to be able to pull out over the year whenever I felt like I needed a fresh apple pie. So with my very last pie from last year (that had been a little squished from something in the freezer) I entered it into the fair, laughing at myself and thinking that there was no way that funny looking thing was going to win anything. Well, I was more than surprised when I looked at the case displaying apple pies to find that my year old, somewhat smashed down apple pie had won 2nd place over all! WOW! If only I had made it fresh, imagine the possibilities! Either way, the point of my story is that this pie is absolutely delicious, will beat out any pie made with canned pie filling, is super easy to make, and freezes extraordinarily well.

BEST Apple Pie EVER

-6 to 8 medium MACINTOSH apples (the kind of apples is EXTREMELY important)
-1/2 C white sugar
-1/4 C flour
-1 Tbsp cinnamon (more or less depending on your personal preference)
-Pie dough, enough for a bottom and top of an 9 in pie pan. (Best recipe found HERE)


-Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. (Thin and uniformly sliced apples will cook through and will soften better than larger pieces)
-Mix together the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
-Mix the flour mixture with the apples until it is evenly coated. Okay, so here is the tricky part, I always make a huge batch of this stuff and haven't a clue how much I actually use on each pie because I usually do it by taste, as the juiciness and sweetness varies from apple to apple. So start with just a little bit of the flour mixture and keep adding it until it tastes good to you.
-Spoon the apple mixture into a pie pan lined with pie dough. (If you like a thicker pie crust, it is better to have the thicker crust on top, and a thinner crust on the bottom, because bottom crusts tend to get soggy.)
-dip your finger or a pastry brush into a little bowl of milk and gently spread the milk over the edge of the pie pan.
-Roll out the pie dough and place it over the top of the pie, fluting the edges together. Using your pastry brush, gently brush milk over the top of the pie crust and sprinkle a little white sugar over the whole pie.
-Cut 3 to 4 slits into the top of the pie to help release steam while the pie cooks.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the pie turns golden. 








No comments:

Post a Comment